Friday 9 October 2009

Outlook 2007 High CPU Usage Problem - Solved

Original solution was found at:


I was having some performance issues with Outlook 2007. When running idle, it was consuming around 20-30% CPU. I know that Outlook is no small app but 20-30% CPU when idle, c'mon!
Trying to figure out what was wrong, I made sure I downloaded all the performance patches and I applied Office SP1 but still experienced a high CPU usage.
One day, I had the idea to disable all the non essential add-ins. Looks like with every software application comes with an Outlook add-in. Why do I need a SnagIt add-ins in Outlook? Why do I need a MindManager add-in? Nuisance if you ask me.
Guess what? After disabling these add-ins, Outlook CPU usage dropped to 0% with peaks at 2-4%!!!
So how do you disable Outlook ad-ins? In the Tools menu, select Trust Center.

Click on the Add-ins tab on the left of the screen and in the lower portion, select Com Add-ins from the drop down and click Go.



You can then uncheck non essential add-ins.



No comments:

Post a Comment