Monday 18 January 2010

CYGWIN SSHD service not starting on Windows server 2008 due to Netlogon service not starting

I installed Cygwin with Open ssh on a Windows server 2008.

I ran the ssh-host-config as normal and configured sshd as a service.

When I tried to start the service it game me an error 1068. Something abot not being able to start sshd because it depends on the netlogon service.

I tried to start the netlogon service manually to see if that would help, but I could not start it as it started then stopped immediately saying that because the computer is part of a workgroup and not a domain then the netlogon service does not need to run!!!!

I found the solution was to change the startup type of the netlogon service from manual to automatic. Then reboot the server and everything starts to work!!!
I do not know why this works but it does for me.

3 comments:

  1. Good suggestion, but it did not work for me with Windows 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replacing the name of computer with a dot on the logon tab of the sshd service properties solved the problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Konsto, I didn't catch that. Thanks for the assist.

      Delete